Recently, Cloudera announced the release of Cloudera CDP Private Cloud, delivering the final component of our hybrid cloud strategy. There’s nothing comparable to it in the industry. CDP Private Cloud offers benefits of a public cloud architecture—autoscaling, isolation, agile provisioning, etc.—in an on-premise environment. Additionally, lines of business (LOBs) are able to gain access to a shared data lake that is secured and governed by the use of Cloudera Shared Data Experience (SDX). In short, CDP Private Cloud is a game-changer for Cloudera partners as it provides opportunities to help their customers modernize their data platform by breaking up monolithic architectures without leaving their data centers!
According to 451 Research’s Voice of the Enterprise: Cloud, Hosting & Managed Services study, 58% of Enterprises are moving towards a hybrid IT environment. Over a third of these Enterprises are actively executing on a strategy to move to hybrid IT. Additionally, 48% of Enterprises are choosing hybrid/multi-cloud strategies to migrate workloads as needed between on-premises and public cloud environments due to factors such as data residency, cost, speed/agility/innovation and security/risk (Source: 451 Research, a part of S & P Global Market Intelligence). With the launch of CDP Private Cloud, Cloudera is the only company with a full Enterprise Data Cloud platform that enables our customers to realize the vision of a hybrid cloud deployment, using both private cloud and (multiple) public clouds as needed. And our partners are well positioned to help them in this journey.
CDP Private Cloud provides tremendous opportunities for our Partners to provide value-added services by helping customers:
- Migrate from large on-premises CDH/HDP clusters to CDP Private Cloud.
- Consolidate multiple, smaller on-premise clusters into CDP Private Cloud deployment
- Take advantage of isolation, autoscaling, and other cloud-native features in CDP Private cloud for business-critical applications.
- Build use case-driven data applications with easy-to-use, self-serve experiences, such as Data Warehouse and Machine Learning, on CDP Private Cloud.
- Migrate from proprietary on-premises legacy analytical databases to CDP Private Cloud to increase agility, flexibility, cost-effectiveness, and meet critical SLAs.
- Implement an infrastructure-agnostic enterprise hybrid cloud data strategy by incorporating CDP Private Cloud and CDP Public Cloud.
Let’s look at some of the common challenges faced by a data platform team:
- Inability to meet the LOBs’ requirements in a suitable time frame, which motivates them to procure point solutions and proliferate data silos. Data silos are one of the main reasons why enterprises fail to meet compliance requirements as they break centralized security and governance. Data silos also break the data lifecycle, which impede critical initiatives such as incorporating Machine Learning/AI in their business processes.
- Critical/VIP workloads missing SLAs due to resource contention. This is known as a noisy neighbor issue and typically occurs in monolithic clusters as spikes in demand impact other, critical workloads.
- Overprovisioning hardware resources leading to resource inefficiencies and budgetary issues.
CDP Private Cloud solves the above challenges by:
- Providing compute resources as needed so LOBs are able to meet critical business requirements on time. For example, a user can run a new analysis using the Cloudera Data Warehouse experience to help them make decisions without waiting for IT to procure more hardware. Once done, the compute resources are deprovisioned and made available for other workloads, thus increasing utilization and cost efficiencies.
- Isolating containerized workloads to provide true multi-tenancy. This resolves any resource contention issues thus solving the “noisy neighbor” problem. A critical workload can run without impeding a different workload running at the same time, so that critical SLAs can be met consistently.
- Creating pools of compute capability that can be used for any workload. The benefits of deprovisioning and autoscaling resources not only incorporate resource cost efficiencies but also ensure that all users are able to use and reuse resources as needed.
Be on the lookout for events around CDP Private Cloud enablement sessions. We encourage all our partners to take advantage of these sessions so they’re in the best position to help their customers realize their hybrid cloud goals.